Nice Pen, Lady...

I have this compulsion to admit to relative strangers, friends,  family and just about everyone else as to just how atrocious my penmanship is. I'm not being modest or trying to get a cheap compliment, it's plain bad. Whether print or cursive, it doesn't look much different from when I was in the fourth grade when my then teacher went out of her way to point out how not nice it was.

I don't know what she's doing nowadays (and I really don't care), but my bad penmanship lives on in her memory. Not only that, it's gotten worse (if that's even possible) since typing took over my life. When I do book event, I always make a point of checking out how other writers sign their names. What I've discovered is most people don't have to make much of an effort to make their signature look very authorish. Me, I practically break out in hives over the effort to not mess up.

I'm resigned to the fact that I'll always have penmanship envy, but that doesn't mean I don't like pens. A lot. In a kind of obsessive way. For years my preferred pen was a black Paper Mate Flair felt tip pen which I'd buy by the box. And I fully expected to be married to the Flair for the rest of my scrawling days until a couple of weeks ago when happened to pick up a uni-ball Impact 207.

It writes super dark with a thick line, two things that are a must for me. It's also a smooth gel which means I don't have to press hard like I tend to do with other pens (and pencils). For me, it was love at first stroke. So much so that each time I use it (which is often as it doesn't take much of an excuse for me to whip it out to write something down), I wish my penmanship could live up to it. I love you, uni-ball Impact 207. Really, I do.

No comments: