No Flakes Here

The other day I wandered into the cookie and candy aisle of my local supermarket. It was no innocent mistake since I was looking for something cookie-ish to have alongside my afternoon vat of tea.

My mother used to be a fan of Lorna Doone shortbread cookies. She'd go as far as to buy a decoy bag of Chips Ahoy for us and hide her box of LDs way up where she thought we couldn't reach them. Soon enough we were sitting along with her, dipping LDs into very milky and overly sweetened cups of coffee.

Full of nostalgia for all the time spent around a diluted cup of caffeine, I reached for a box of Lorna Doone's. Unfortunately I made the mistake of reading the nutrition panel and that, as they say, was that. I had options, including a reduced fat version and a box of 100 calorie packs, but I really don't see the point of eating anything reduced fat because in the end a cookie is a cookie, not a stalk of celery. I made a few wide steps to the right and stood in front of the fancy cookie section and rediscovered LU Biscuits, not cookies.

Instead of going for the milk chocolate butter biscuit, I picked up the more reasonable Rich Tea variety which I'd never tried. Smaller then the plain butter biscuit, they have a sharper but richer taste and hold up to European style dunking in a cup of tea.

A word of caution, though: keep it to a couple quick dunks, not soaking like an Oreo in a glass of milk, unless you don't mind drinking chunky tea.

No comments: