And so it goes...

I won't even pretend that even I'm not sick of hearing myself talk and type about my never ending revising, polishing and tweaking of Goodbye To All That (Touchstone, 2010). I'm working with the same nut of a story idea, a woman loses her job but keeps it from her friends, family and frenemies, but it's been a process of weeding out what works and what doesn't. Something I had to do anyway, but I would hope would be almost over by now.

Except, I'm tired of doing it and doing it again. Re-reading the same pages, reworking the same text. I used to work on a couple projects at once until I got too old to multi-task. So I've been living with this book for almost two years. When I worked a 'real' job, I never kept one longer than six months. For reals. This was during the dot.com frenzy and there were jobs to be had that paid beyond decent salaries with health benefits.

Now I pay out of pocket to only go to the doctor when I can't treat my ailments on my own and, honestly, a grande soy chai from Starbucks brings me all the closer to the red. Now that's the writing life for you! Why do it? Well, for one thing, I know a lot (if not most) people don't get the opportunity to sit and write a book and then, if works, see it get published. (See it sell is another thing. That's all about the marketing and, from my sales numbers, I suck at marketing.)

When it comes down to it, I'm doing the hard work it takes to get a book beyond an idea and into something that can be published by my editor and proudly shilled by me. Because after this, I'm making marketing what I have my new job. Not that I want to take a break from writing, but it would be nice to try something different for a while.

No comments: