Back in the Pool

Seems the guy who was handling the film rights for More Than This (Touchstone, Aug. '08) and my YA submission, has moved to a new agency. I’m figuring since I didn’t get a head’s up email before the actual move, much less phone call with him saying “Hey, come with me!” it means he has dumped me. (You'd be surprised how this whole publishing thing is like dating, getting into college and--cringe--giving birth.)

You'd think I'd be a little more upset, or even a little upset, but I'm not. I have been around the agent block way too many times to take any of it (OK, most of it) personally. It's never a good time to find oneself without an agent, particularly now, but as Celine Dion sang, "And my heart will go on and on."

He was a swell guy to work with, answered my emails in such a timely manner, it made my head spin. If the rights for MTT weren't placed with a production company and the YA proposal didn't sell, it was a mutual failure on both our parts. I don't blame him for not being able to sell a book editors didn't want to buy and, I admit, I've been coasting since getting out of my last agent relationship and seeing More Than This do a lot better than I could have hoped. I've been focusing on other things, like that spot on the wall, and he would answer my emails when I got around to sending them. In a way, it was good for me and I can only hope for him, too.

Next week, once the flood of WTF?! emails he's probably getting right now slows down, I'll drop him a note just to make sure signals aren't crossed. For all I know, it really is over between us or he still considers me his client and didn't get around to asking me officially for my hand in publishing. The only way I'm going to find out is if I send him an email asking him WTF?!

Having been around the agent block, I can accept, with no hard feelings, his not wanting to rep me. If he does, I might decline and go it alone. Really, when you have no options, saying thanks, but no thanks can feel pretty darn good.

03/02/09 2:34 pm Post Script:
I have exercised my option to sign with my manager guy at his new agency. I didn't make it so easy on him, though. I waited a whole 20 minutes after his email asking me to come on board to reply with my yes, please and thank you. Those were the longest 20 minutes of my life but at least I still have my dignity. Right? Whatever, at least I have an agent.

2 comments:

Heather Poole said...

I never had a great feeling about that guy. Don't worry, you're going to get that deal. I KNOW IT!

Margo Candela said...

So far no answer to the email I sent. Not freaking out, but it might be the Xanax...