From Book to Movie Script

So I'm kind of proud of myself for getting some writing done on my screenplay adaptation of More Than This (Touchstone, Aug. '08) for the screenwriting and development classes I'm taking. I'd been so worried about writing that I hadn't been able to muster up the nerve to do it. Thankfully, circumstances have forced me not to be so introspective and I've started to work on the things I should have been done with sometime ago.

Either way. What I've realized is that just because the novel's plot and story evolves the way it does, it doesn't mean that's the way it will work for a movie. It's the same story, but I've had to tweak the plot. So I thought I'd post the first few chapters of More Than This the novel (lucky for me bn.com has the text on it's site) and the raw and untweaked screenplay version of the same sections.

Enjoy, I hope.

Addendum and Edit: Too much text. I finally got around to doing something about it because it's been bothering me. (Shows how exciting my life is...which is why I write fiction.) I've converted the excerpt of More Than This into a PDF as well as the first corresponding pages of the screenplay. Click on the image or link underneath to read, contrast and compare. Just like in English 101!


If you've made it this far, you'll see (read) that lots of things and even entire characters from the book are not in the screenplay. Things are also different and out of order or addressed in a whole other matter. This is why it's been so hard for me, I suppose, to jump between the two and why my goal for the rest of the week is to finish the screenplay so that I can get cracking on my next book. Or at least the synopsis for it.

6 comments:

GirlonTour said...

Wow I found your blog through Heather's and glad I did...just read you novel excerpt and am hooked now...where can I get a copy???

:D

Margo Candela said...

Heather is the bee's knees. You can buy MTT online at bn.com and amazon.com. It's also in a lot of Borders Books and Barnes & Noble stores. (Off to the right there's a link list.) And thanks! I really appreciate your support...and Heather's!

GirlonTour said...

Well I am hitting the states next week and one of my favourite stores there is Barnes and Noble...I am there girlfriend! Really loved it!

Skydoll said...

And where is the video? I can't find it. You know the one. I'm waiting. Anxiously. I see Girl on Tour found you. :) She's inspired me to write a post that I actually started. Now if only I weren't looking for videos and writing instead

GirlonTour said...

Hee hee I was bound to find her Skydoll if she was a pal of yours...had to be quality!!!!

Can't wait to find out how I inspired you.....

Margo Candela said...

Heather,
Project Boob is on hold until this holiday fun is done.