Hazy Days

Things are fairly miserable in parts of Los Angeles. The outside is beyond dry, winds have infused it with allergens galore and the steady smoke from fires burning and burning is just adding to the miserableness. Sure, maybe the average Joe or Jane in Fallujah would beg to differ about my interpretation on what makes life a little less pleasant to live. What with the continuing bombings, occupation of their country, sporadic availability of electricity, something like a dry nose would seem like a minor, if that much, annoyance to them. But one of the wonderful things about living in the U.S.ofA. is that I reserve the right to bitch about the most inconsequential things and seek remedy through, hallelujah!, shopping.


The Nose Knows: Some years back I suffered from a continues stream, heh, of sinus infections. Besides my nose being runny, I just couldn't breath out of it and I hate mouth breathing, day or night. I paid a visit to my nurse practitioner and she could see I was in desperate need of immediate relief so, along with antibiotics, she said I should pick up a nasal spray. She then scared the bejesus out of me by then telling me I would get horribly addicted to it and make my non-breathing nasal passages dependent on it for the rest of my life if I used it for more than two days. Ayers Saline No Drip, around $7, nasal spray promising to moisturize the passages without dripping out or back and it's not addictive. Yay.

Jeepers Peepers: I'm pretty close to self-diagnosing myself with dry eyes. Every so often, which is to say fairly regularly, I find myself rubbing my eyes and blinking and blinking. I put two and two together and realized it was because my eyeballs were feeling parched. This happens not only during allergy season but year-around. For the most part I ignore it and people are fairly kind and don't make fun of me for my blinking and rubbing. Still, it's pretty frickn' dry out there so drops are definitely an option. Similsan Dry Eye Relief drops, around $12, are not only homeopathic but also from Switzerland. I don't know why that matters to me, but it does.

Drink Up: Besides chai, lately in the form of Tazo tea bags, a rotating cast of Be Well teas, my drinking is limited to water and the occasional clear sweetened carbonated drink. Bottled water, eh, whatever. I prefer filtered cold tap water. Ice also has to have a non-taste to make the cut with me. (I'm in the process of trying to justify buying a stand-alone counter top ice machine.) Currently, my drinking water at home is filtered and cooled by using a Brita water pitcher. The results are drinkable but in the end it's just water with a slight taste. How to remedy that and make drinking even way more better for me? Dr. Brandt's Anti-Oxidant Water Booster is not cheap, $35, but I swear its worth every penny. Especially, if you're one of those types who doesn't like to sip plain water at your desk or at home. It's supposed to do all sorts of wonderful things for you skin and such. For me, it just makes drinking plain old water a little more special. To make sure I get my daily ounces, I gifted myself a stainless steel Klean Kanteen, around $20 for the 27 ounce size. Not only is it good for the environment, blah to plastic bottles, I'm convinced it makes water taste cleaner.


Body Logic: When it comes to taking the time to slather on moisturizer, I admit I'm prone to taking shortcuts. I know some people, women, of course, who do it in the morning and night, not to mention reaching into their purse or desk for a travel size bottle of moisturizer to make hands a little more supple during the day. As I get older, I'm starting to sense that the first thing to flee is moisture. (Conversely, it's just as easy, if not more so, to retain water. Go figure.) I spent the last few days scratching and scratching--my legs and arms beyond itchy. When I looked down I saw that my fingernails were leaving actual tracks of white parched skin behind. Gross negligence on my part. So now I'm taking those extra few minutes, at least after my shower, to get acquainted to parts of my body I'd formerly taken for granted and had let dry out. Nivea reminds me of family trips to Mexico. Even when I didn't go, my Mom or whomever would come back with a round tin of Nivea cream which I thought was quite luxurious. Since I don't have time to scoop cream out of tin and then devote minutes upon minutes to work it in, I need something that's a little more lazy user friendly. Nivea Body Smooth Sensation, around $8,doesn't leave me feeling like an oil slick so I can get dressed fast and not have to walk around in my underwear until it sinks in.

No comments: