About Last Night...

I had a good time with Jamie (Wood Martinez, author of Rogelia's House of Magic) and Reyna (Grande, author of Across A Hundred Mountains) last night at a Well's Fargo event at the Museum of Latin American Art in Long Beach (California).

We took the stage and, under the hot lights, talked about being writers. The nicest part was that the audience actually listened and seemed interested in what we had to say. I had to admit that, due to the immense crappiness that defines the current state of everything, the smart thing would be to be sitting in their seats instead of where we were. (Little secret: Fiction writers don't make a lot of money. Gasp? I know!) But people were excited to see that our little group of writers is out there taking on a life of creative typing and, dare I say it, representing. Many of them were super supportive by not only buying our novels, but thanking us for working for peanuts so they wouldn't have to. (I mean, someone has to do it, right? My forte, sadly, was never numerical and I gladly leave that realm to the fine people we met last night.)

Hanging around with Reyna, Jamie and John from Libreria Martinez more than makes up for a lack of financial security. OK, not entirely but it made for a nice night out and I look forward to doing it again...which we will next Thursday.

3 comments:

Skydoll said...

Next time I'm going! Seriously, let me know. Will soon be posting writer meeting photos.

Margo Candela said...

Ooooh, that would be fun! Hope I don't look too dorky in the photos! I was feeling very blah that day, but it was good to just talk and laugh and take advantage of Anne's hospitality.

Skydoll said...

Photos are posted, and I do believe you're looking pretty good. Me, that's another story, which is why I'll be taking my camera with to lunch with you at the old lady place you suggested. :) Come photo ready because they will also be posted on my blog.

www.shouldbewriting.blogspot.com