Done...For Now

I finished How Can I Tell You (Touchstone, Summer '09) late last night after spending the last few days in an incoherent stupor brought on by way too much creative typing. This version of HCITY clocked in somewhere between 96k-97k words. More than the 90k that was my initial aim but I shaved off a few thousand (more than three, less than ten) by dropping a plot point and chalking up some to-dos as pure workplace paranoia.

If that's hard to understand, pity my poor editor whose going to have to slog through the thing. In my defense, I think this is a stronger manuscript, in its current state, than More Than This (Touchstone, handy links to the right if you want to buy a copy) was when I turned it in last September/October. That one had some serious issues I spent a good three or four weeks rectifying and having panic attacks over. So the only issue might be is that she hates the story. Everything else, though, can be tweaked, revised and smoothed over.

Now this is not how it should be done. I should have finished the thing in June, stepped far away from it in July and then given it a thorough read and revise in August and then sent it to my editor. Alas, it didn't work out that way which is why I'm sending her a box of See's chocolates.

In other news, I mailed off a copy of More Than This to a producer who requested it this week. This is a good sign and we're all keeping our fingers crossed for some good news. Other than that, I'm going to enjoy the next few days before I start class on Tuesday.

No comments: