Typing to Music

Despite the many distractions I allow myself, I have made progress both in word count (32,881 in Word and a few hundred I haven't downloaded from on my Dana) and in the over all concept of my next manuscript, still known as Book 2 around here and in New York.

I'm using my Dana to type out bare bones scenes/chapter sections and since I'm not obsessing about what it looks like--it helps that the tiny screen is not editing friendly--I'm always surprised to see that I've racked up a few hundred or a thousand words in a relativity short amount of time. It's amazing what not having access to email and the web does for a person's productivity.

So instead of chapters, which I tend to have many of in my books, I'm dividing this book into three parts with each section titled. So it's kind of like chapters, but not. I'm not sure if my editor/agent/willing and unwilling readers will be happy with this gimmick but I'll do my best to make it work. If the reaction is bad, I'll change it. It's all part of the process, folks, to keep an author from doing something that'll make her look really stupid. At least, I think that's the idea.

Since I don't type in silence here are some of the songs from the play list I've put together to keep me in the Book 2 writing mood:
Badly Drawn Boy's River, Sea, Ocean
Beck's I Think I'm in Love
Iron and Wine's Each Coming Night
Chris Isaak's Please
Nick Drake's Northern Sky
Bob Marley's Could You Be Loved
The Shins' New Slang
Brazilian Girls' Lazy Lover
Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On

2 comments:

ben said...

For some reason I read "Lazy Lover" and was really hoping you meant, Phil Collins & Philip Baileys Easy Lover.
Sadly I was wrong.
You should probably add Civil War by Joe Henry to your list. Anything off the Civilians album would be a good addition actually.

Margo Candela said...

Thank you , Ben. Guess what song I can now NOT get out of my mind. Oh my God, I had no idea that much Phil Collins was embedded in my grey matter. I will be looking into Joe Henry in hopes that it might scrub my synopsis clean.