Draft of Drafts

Today was my official start of my first draft by March 14th countdown. The plan is to write a minimum of 1,200 words a day, five days a week--anything over that is gravy anything below will have to be made up--to leave me with a 30,000 first and very rough draft by said date to which I'll then add another 30,000 words to by the end of April and will eventually result in 85,000 to 90,000 manuscript I can happily present to me editor Sulay at the end of August.

As I got a bit of head start before I had to stop to go over page proofs for More Than This (Touchstone, Aug. 2008), I finished the day off at 5,323 words and 44 words over my 1,200 word a day goal. Not bad. But I have to do an outline, which I won't count toward my daily word count goal. Tomorrow I should end up at 6,523 and so on and so forth.

Why an outline? It makes it easier to stay on track as far as how the over all novel will develop and when I get lost or lose steam I can look to it and hope it'll give me a little push in the right direction. All this is in that primer I'm working on and even though I'm sure it's only interesting to me and other writers out there who are desperate for a way to rationalize the whole book writing process, I've written five books this way so I know it works.

No comments: