Here Comes The Sun

The sister and I went out shopping over the weekend and I confessed to her that I had a deep burning desire to buy a new bag, the Banana Republic Flatiron Triangle Satchel in Chalk, $228. To try and justify my confession I pulled out the discount card for 15% off a purchase of $200 or more I'd stowed in my wallet.

She looked at me and asked, "Didn't you just get a new bag?" Yes, I did. "Where is it?" she asked. In my closet, I admitted. "Let's go look at it." So we walked over to Banana Republic and I did that thing where you "wear" the bag in front of the mirror. She said, "It's nice. You should get it." I should, I agreed, but I have until March 15 to pretend to think about it. We both know that I'll be forking over more of my advance money before the coupon expires for yet another bag I'll rarely have reason to use unless my work life changes or I start dating.

As my love affair with Banana Republic handbags continues (currently I have two that I will admit to) I know I've left behind my infatuations with Kate Spade and Coach which were the bags I exclusively carried around with me since my mid-20s. But sunglasses are another matter all together. I own about four pairs of Kate Spade and one or two Coach sunglasses and can't foresee another brand usurping my affection for them anytime soon. The husband once presented me with a pair of Chanel sunglasses. I looked down at them, up at him, tried them on, took them off and asked him, "Are we fucking the same person?" Back they went which, if anything, is good news for him as it's clear I don't have a taste for Chanel or Gucci accessories of any kind.

It's been a while since my last pair of sunglasses, a pair of Coach Audreys I love and should take better care of, and it's time for something new and different. I figure, if I'm going to waste my money I may as well waste it on something I'll wear almost every day. Now comes the hard part: deciding if I can justify buying more than one pair of sunglasses at the same time.


Top Row from Left: Coach Quinn ($168) and Samantha ($168)
Bottom Row from Left: Kate Spade Greta ($175) and Bethany ($175)

2 comments:

ben said...

I think given the latest haircut discussions, that the upper right is the way to go. Try the sunglasses at Allyn Scura, thinking some dark lenses in these worn by Anouk Aimee might be a good alternative. http://www.allynscura.com/images/anouk.1963.opt.jpg

Margo Candela said...

Ha! Those are the shape of my computer glasses, but mine are a little smaller. And I've had that haircut before, too and that's as cool as I'll ever get.