Book Bonanza

I found myself with nothing to read less than a day after finishing the chunky, and occasionally guffaw inducing, Guest of the Ayatollah by Mark Bowden. As I'd promised the kid a trip to see Spiderwick over the weekend, I took the opportunity to keep him up a little past his bedtime to peruse the bookshelves in hopes that something would catch my eye.

By virtue of good back cover copy I picked up The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig only to realize when I took a careful look at home that it's sort of a series. So I'm abstaining until I procure the rest of the books so I can read them in order. How I suffer for me hobby. On the same trip I managed to locate City of Falling Angels by the guy who wrote Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which I really enjoyed.

These two retail purchases supplement the other two novels I picked up at my libraries massive book sale. I combed through boxes and stacks but managed to come away with The Debutante Divorcee by Plum Sykes (hey, it turned out to be a mere fifty cents so don't hold it against me) and the delightful The Wishbones by one of my favorite writers Tom Perrotta. I started it on Saturday afternoon and finished it

So what should I find on my doorstep just now? Why a book of free books from my lovely editor Sulay Hernandez. Inside I found a paperback copy of The Little Lady Agency by Hester Browne, Jenny O'Connell's The Book of Luke to inspire my YA ambitions, Jennifer Weiner's book of shorts, The Guy Not Taken, a memoir by Alex Witchel entitled Girls Only and a much awaited and nagged after copy of Final Theory. The book won't be out until June but Sulay is the editor and she forked over an advance reader copy. Touchstone, as well as Simon & Schuster, is all hot and bothered about Final Theory and Sulay said I'd love it. She knows I have a weakness for smart thrillers. So tonight I'll be going to bed with Final Theory and, dang, am I excited!

I'll post what I thought of them as I finish each on my Goodreads.com page.

No comments: