What I Wore: Meeting with Editors

Let's face it. I don't often get a chance to walk in the land of the living and pretend I'm an adult with a life. So I really put some thought into what I was going to wear to my meetings with editors. Anything I wore had to be comfortable, not zips or buttons to worry about, look semi-professional and work in the cold.

My first meeting was lunch with Sulay Hernandez at Touchstone, my editor for my last three books and the fourth I'm supposed to be starting, like, now. I paired my new La Canadienne Katrina boots with this Isaac Mizrahi stripped dress. And I like the combo so much, I'll wear it again--let's face it sometimes we buy vacation clothes and never wear them when we get back because they look so wrong in real life. The dress is a prefect length for my new boots and if it were possible to find a dozen more dresses in different colors but the same shape, cut and material, I'd be all over them. (Isaac Mizrahi Stripped Sweater Dress, $29.99, at target.com, La Canadienne Katrina Boots, $313.95, at zappos.com, black tights, not pictured, around $12)

So this is me and the kid, with the husband on the other end of the camera, on our way to the Simon & Schuster offices. I'm holding one of the many Starbucks chai soy lattes I had over the four days I was there. I'm also wearing the husband's scarf because I forgot my own and he was manly enough to go without. My Kenneth Cole quilted coat was just the right weight and length and I'm glad I bought it even though I rarely have a reason to wear it in L.A.


Day two found me with not one but two meetings but spaced far enough apart that I could wander around Midtown searching for tights (more on this later). Since I had the two meetings and a family dinner that night, what I wore had to do triple duty and hold up to a full day on the run. I had to wear a camisole underneath since the dress is a little low cut and for added warmth. It's a super comfy jersey material and I know I'll wear it again in warmer weather, but still with a cami underneath. (Daisy Fuentes Faux Wrap Tie Dress, $58, no longer available at kohls.com, black tights, not pictured, around $12, at Target, black cami, not pictured, around $6 at Target. )


Since I'd never met Adriana Dominguez (Harper Collins) or Selina McLemore (Grand Central) I was actually a bit nervous, but my hair turned out great. The scarf I'm wearing was purchased the night before walking back from dinner with the husband's sister and mom, at the H&M on 5th and something. In lieu of a hat, I wrapped it around my head and ears, babushka style, and kept relatively warm. My meetings went really well. I'm submitting projects to both of them in the next few weeks and am keeping my fingers crossed that things go well.

No comments: