Work is Leisure. Leisure is Work.

I went to the beach yesterday, a rare event of me venturing out into urban nature, and gorged myself on the last Harry Potter book, much to the kid's chagrin, and crunchy sand flecked sandwiches. I think that gives me at least two family outing credits I'll cash in the next time the husband is feeling familial.

So now its just me and my computer, just the way I like it. Yeah, suck on that, husband!

Moving on.

Since my August is devoted to polishing Missed Connections (oh, you haven't heard?) I'm in need little prompting to get my head in the proper place so I'll be renting and half-assed viewing a slew of romantic type movies in the next few weeks that touch on the themes in Missed Connections (have you heard I'm working on a polish of my third book this August?). Aside from writing, riding my bike and rediscovering yoga, I have a lot of movie watching ahead of me. A partial list of likely contenders for me to turn to when I've tapped the shallow well of my own romanticism:

Serendipity: Now this movie I saw at the theater with the husband long before the kid came along and we could devote time to just watching movies for fun. And, as I remember, I enjoyed it and realized that all English actresses are named Kate or Emma and John Cusack can still rock the rom-com years after he ruined guydom for all men in Say Anything. Oh, in short its about two people who hit it off and run around trying to find each other.

Green Card: I LIKE this movie. I don't care what anyone says. Andie McDowell and GĂ©rard Depardieu hook up in a marriage of convenience and hilarity (and love) ensues. It's very New York, the apartment is drool worthy and over all a very sweet story of two unlikely people who fall in love despite their fucked up circumstances.

Valley Girl: Another two different worlds collide (complete with its own dialect) love story. This is one of my favorites to watch because it's funny, smart and Nicolas Cage hadn't morphed into the odd actor he now is. If you haven't seen it, I feel sorry for you. Really, I do. It's like a freaking right of passage if you grew up anywhere near the 1980s.

Before Sunset: I most likely won't watch it again but will remember it fondly for it's smart dialogs and the improbable situation these two young lovers find themselves in--forging an amazing connection and then going their separate ways in the course of less than 24 hours. Ethan Hawkes' teeth are too distracting and I can't help thinking how bad they must smell when they finally do the deed right at sunrise on the grass in some Parisian park. Like I said, I'm not much of a nature girl.

No comments: