10 Questions: Kate Perry

First a disclaimer: I think Kate Perry is the bee's knees. I met her some years ago when Wendy Nelson Tokunaga (Midori by Moonlight/St. Martin's Griffin, September 2007) organized a group of like minded women writers in the Bay Area. At the time, Kate was optimistically stuck in the unpublished pile and we were all happy (but not surprised) when she sent out an email letting us know her first two books had been picked up by Kensington (who a few months later became to be the publisher of my first two. Weird!). She also introduced me to her super web designer, Sunni...and I'm starting to sound like a stalker here.
She may look like a nice gal, but she has a bawdy and great sense of humor. Her first two books are prefect examples of Kate's lively personality. Project Daddy (May 2006), garnered a starred review from Booklist who said, "Perry's impressive debut is a winning and entertaining combination of humor and pathos." Next up for Kate is Project Date (September 2007) and she tells me she has plenty of other book up her sleeves. Both of them, the lady just has that many ideas.
1. Any writing rituals you have to get it going?
I make myself jasmine tea and rub peanut butter all over my body--except for my hands, because getting peanut butter on your keyboard sucks.
Just kidding. Really.
In actuality, I put my headphones on--with or without music playing. It forces me to narrow my focus to what's in front of me.
2. What's your cure for writer's block?
Um, I don't believe in writer's block. Is that a requisite for an author? Because I never got a copy of the rules.
3. What do you tell people who ask what you do at cocktail parties and such?
It depends on my mood. If I'm feeling whimsical, I'll say I'm an author. If I'm in a serious mood, I'll say I'm a stripper. Or a brain surgeon.
4. What's the worst part about being a full-time writer?
The hours--no one said it was going to be so much work! I thought you got to lie around and eat bonbons. I was so misled.
5. If you could have written any book, which would it be?
The Bible, because it's consistently been the top selling book in the world for decades. (I know--I'm a capitalist mercenary at heart.)
6. What were you doing ten years ago?
No one cares what I was doing ten years ago--ask me something really interesting. Like whether I've ever stolen a car (no) or danced in a cage (yes).
Or I guess I could plug my next book, PROJECT DATE--I'm sure that's interesting. It's about a MacGyver-loving hacker who resorts to technological sabotage to win her ex-boyfriend back. It's a sweet love story. Um, except maybe for the part with the handcuffs.
7. What do you hope to be doing ten years from now besides writing?
I'm thinking I'll go one of two ways. I'll either end up
1. raking in the cash (see "capitalist mercenary" above), or
2. unshackling myself from all earthly possessions and living in a
Taoist monastery.
Alternatively, I've been toying with the idea of being a bodyguard too.
You never know.
8. What's your biggest anxiety about your writing/writing life?
I decided several months ago that I'm done with anxiety. My critique partners call me Zen girl.
I just got to the point where I realized no matter how much I fretted, things turned out the way they're supposed to, so why bother? It's so much easier to relax, and the energy I used to expend worrying goes into being creative now. The hippie dude who said "Be here now" knew what he was talking about.
9. If you could have anyone's job/life but your own, whose would it be?
Last weekend, one of my friends asked me what my dream job was. I thought about for a minute before I realized I was doing it. I don't really want to be anyone else--I like my life.
But if I had to pick someone to be, I'd want to be Ranger from Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Cool cars and a plethora of weapons--what more could you ask for?
10. What's the biggest misconception about you now that you're a published writer?
That I lie around and eat bonbons. It's so not true. I eat ice cream.










No comments: