Life Lessons: Insomnia

I'm going on day, er, night eleven of interrupted sleep. I believe this is a record for me. Hurray! I finally broke down and had the husband buy a box of Simply Sleep. Last night I took one, woke up at 2, took the second pill at 2:30 and fell asleep sometime after 3. Tonight I'm taking both pills at once and whatever happens happens. (And it better be sleep.) I've also doubled my determination to sleep through the night by subjecting myself to a 12 minute for $12 public massage at my local mall. Despite the lack of spa amenities, it hit the spot and I plan to pay regular visits if only to work the kinks out of my shoulders. You can't beat the price and I'm sure they're a lot better for me then anything decaf at Starbucks.

The one good thing about insomnia is I've had a lot of time to think. Here's a list of ten things my insomnia has taught me.

1. Infomercials are chock full of information. (Prime hours for their airing seems to be between 2 and 4 am.)

2. Trying to watch shows where you actually have to listen to the dialog is almost impossible without turning up the volume to daytime levels. (This may have more to do with one ear being pressed into a pillow.)

3. Some people (and you know who you are) are very loud sleepers making it almost impossible for those of us who are trying to fall asleep to do anything but listen to them sleep.

4. People will always comment on how tired you look the night after a bout of insomnia in a tone that implies it's somehow all your fault.

5. Crickets! Who knew they were so freaking loud.

6. Light up numbers on the telephone handset make ordering infomercial products a lot easier.

7. Credit cards are hard to read in the light cast off the TV. (Glow in the dark credits cards, anyone?)

8. There's no point in trying to get anything constructive done at 3:30 in the morning when you'd rather be asleep.

9. If it's work worries or a great new idea that's causing the insomnia, it'll be almost impossible to deal with it/them the next morning.

10. After a while people will stop commenting on how tired you look because they've come to think of you always looking tired.

No comments: