So You Want To Be A Writer?

Lately people having been asking me how I do what I do and how I went about getting it done. Other than miming typing my answers have been limited to a.) I have a pretty good imagination, b.) at this point I doubt I have any real world skills left and c.) beats the hell out me.

But really, there is a way to write a book, find and agent and get it published. I'm living proof that a person with no inside connections (I'm no one's niece, ex-baby sitter or college chum) can make it happen.

If you have specific questions feel free to send them my way and I'll answer them. I figure its good karma and there was a time, like just yesterday, when I needed some guidance. For now here is my list of indispensable sites that helped me along the way.

1. AgentQuery.com: There is no better place on the web to find out about agents. I contacted one agent using the info on this site and she passed my query on to my now agent. And its free.

2. MediaBistro.com: They have writing course, networking events and AG members can access all sorts of extra features. Their Revolving Door Newsletter is a good cross reference for doing agent/editor research.

3. PublishersMarketplace.com: For $20 a month you get access to their newsletter, database and can set up your own page. A friend of mine has had hers generate loads of interest. Most useful is checking who has sold what to who.

4. JA Konrath: His A Newbie's Guide to Publishing is chock full of stuff you need to know even though you don't want to deal with it.

5. MarcelaLandres.com: She's a one woman revolution out to help Latina and Latinos make it in publishing. Great resources and true passion.

I'll be adding and expanding this list and making it a permanet fixture on my blog so if you have any suggestions, send them my way.

No comments: