Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About:

This weeks topic is book publicity. Why? Because I've been having nightmares about it. So I thought I'd put together a handy list for anyone out there who cares about such things.

1. Get ready to shill.
Your publisher may or may not bestow a pr person on you and your book.
Not only do you have to write the darn thing, you also have to do your part to get the word out.

2. Don't be afraid to ask.
Once your book comes out, march into any bookstore that's carrying it and ask to sign copies. You never know, it might lead to a real signing in the future. Just make sure to be polite and that you don't have Hot Dog on a Stick breath.

3. Make yourself available.
Since I want to share what I've learned, I'm calling my local libraries and offering up myself to speak to patrons and share my experience. The biggest selling point so far seems that I'm willing (more than willing, actually) to do it for free.

4. Pretend you know what your talking about.
Project confidence and warm authority. You don't want to have someone ask to see your ID because they can't believe you're a published author.

5. Up your meds.
Things will get nerve wracking. The days of hiding in your office are over, sonny.

No comments: